The Supernatural Foundation of the Church
Passage: Luke 6:12–6:19
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- Why do you think Jesus poured His attention and life into twelve apostles, as opposed to teaching the general population Himself? How does the choosing of the twelve apostles demonstrate Jesus’ care and concern for the future of His church? What should this tell you about your own role in the building of God’s church?
- Before choosing the 12 apostles, the Son of God spent all night in intentional uninterrupted time with the Father. Why should prayer be our first priority rather than our last resort? What are some practical ways we can intentionally cultivate our relationship with God and make this a priority?
- Why do you think it is important that Jesus chose ordinary men from podunk cities, to be the men upon which He would found His church? Why can’t the church be built like the world builds a business? How should Christ’s church be built?
- Jesus chose people who were almost polar opposites to be part of His 12 apostles (e.g. a Hebrew nationalist like Simon the Zealot as well as a traitorous tax collector like Matthew the tax collector)? What should this tell us about how we are to live with brothers and sisters within the church who are very different from ourselves? How should Christians deal with political, cultural, socio-economic, and racial differences within the church?
- Why is Jesus Christ the ultimate source of healing and provision for our deepest hurts, problems, and needs?