The Cost of Discipleship
March 19, 2023 Preacher: Dan Wong Series: Luke
Passage: Luke 14:25–35
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- How can the gift of salvation be free, and yet the cost of discipleship be so high? Is this a contradiction? Explain.
- What do you think Jesus means, when He says we must hate our parents, our spouse, our children and siblings, if we are to follow Him? Why do you think Jesus expects that our relationship with Him must be first and foremost? Is Jesus an egomaniac?
- What does it mean to bear your own cross and follow Jesus? Is it possible to be “cool” in the world’s eyes and still be a disciple of Jesus? How is “cross bearing” actually liberating for the Christian…in other words how does it set you free?
- Jesus calls His disciples to count the cost of following Him. According to v.33, what does it “cost” to follow Jesus? How do you feel about this? Are you willing to pay this cost?
- In v.34-35, Jesus compares tasteless salt to a worthless disciple. Is Jesus being too harsh? Is it even possible to follow Jesus? What do you think Jesus is trying to communicate to us?
More in Luke
May 28, 2023Stumbling Blocks, Forgiveness, and Faith
May 21, 2023The Results of Man-Made Religion
April 30, 2023Exposing Hollow Religion