The Self-Righteous Brother
Passage: Luke 15:25–32
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- In the parable of the “prodigal son”, why do you think people focus more on the younger son rather than the older son?
- Why was the older son so angry about the party for his brother? What does this reveal about his heart for his brother and more importantly, for his father?
- Why do you think Jesus told this parable to the Pharisees? HINT: Look at the context of these parables in Luke 15:1-2.
- Why is self-righteousness such a powerful and dangerous sin? Are you self-righteous? How would you know?
- Using the example given in this parable, first describe the heart of God towards sinful lost people. Why is it important for self-righteous people to understand God’s heart towards sinners?