The Announcement of the Incarnation
Passage: Luke 1:26–1:38
Livestream services will be available every Sunday at 8:45 am.
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- In the birth announcement of the Son of God, the angel Gabriel extols to Mary the greatness of her soon to be child. Her baby will be the long awaited Messiah, whose promised coming was foretold centuries before. God has chosen to bring His only begotten Son into the world through a poor humble virgin who lives in a very humble town called Nazareth. Why do you think God would do this? What does this tell you about God and the kinds of things He values?
- In Jesus’ birth through the humble virgin Mary (the “favored one”), God is choosing to exalt the lowly and lift up the humble. What do you learn from this passage about how God views human wealth, power, prestige and popularity? How should this impact the way you live your life?
- Can a person be both great and humble? Describe what you think this would look like.
- The miracle of the incarnation is that the Holy Spirit came upon Mary and the power of the Most High overshadowed her in such a way, that the child to be born would be called holy - the Son of God. Why do you think the Savior of the world had to be both human and divine? Why did God have to become a man in order to save us? What does this tell you about the depth, and breadth, and height of God’s love for you and me?
- We see in v.38 Mary’s beautiful and godly submission to the Word of God. In spite of the impending scandal and uncertain future because of her pregnancy before marriage, she willingly submits herself to the will of God. She trusted in God even when she couldn’t see how any of this would work out. What do you think helped Mary to respond with such faith and trust? How does Mary’s faith and submission to God’s will help you to trust and believe in God?