July 25, 2021 Preacher: Danny Bae Series: Luke
Passage: Luke 2:39–52
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- Why is the statement, Jesus “grew and became strong, filled with wisdom” so amazing and mind-boggling? Although we cannot fully understand how an infinite God can become a finite man, why is it significant for us to know that Jesus, the Son of God, had to grow and increase in wisdom and stature? What does the incarnation of Jesus tell us about Jesus’ ability to understand our weaknesses and struggles?
- Jesus’ parents made sure that their family prioritized the worship of God. The environment surrounding the young Jesus nurtured His spiritual growth. Whether or not you are a parent, what are some practical ways you can nurture a child’s spiritual growth? What are some ways you can hinder or stunt a child’s spiritual growth? Why is it important for parents to put their child’s spiritual growth ahead of their athletic, academic, or artistic growth? Why do you think it is so hard for many parents to do this?
- When Joseph and Mary found their son in the temple - after three days of searching - their relief turned quickly to frustration. Joseph and Mary were frustrated with the Son of God and probably thought that He had sinned against them. But Jesus reveals to them that He was right where He was supposed to be - “in my Father’s house.” When we get frustrated and upset with the circumstances in our lives; when we get frustrated with Jesus Christ, what does this tell us about our understanding of our Savior?
- How is your relationship with your heavenly Father? Is it characterized by robotic prayers before eating, begrudging reading of a few chapters of the Bible each day, a declining conscience, a diminishing (or non-existent) sense of the Holy Spirit, an unresponsive heart to God’s Word, an absence of spiritual joy? If this is you, the question Pastor Danny asked is “do you want to grow?” If Jesus Himself grew, how much more should we? What changes do you need to make in your life so that you can grow deeper in your walk with Jesus?
- Why is the church, the Body of Christ, so critical to our spiritual growth? (See Hebrews 10:23-25)
More in Luke
May 28, 2023Stumbling Blocks, Forgiveness, and Faith
May 21, 2023The Results of Man-Made Religion
April 30, 2023Exposing Hollow Religion