A Severe Misunderstanding of Discipleship
July 10, 2022 Preacher: Dan Wong Series: Luke
Passage: Luke 9:49–56
20Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- What is “group pride”? In our sermon we heard that “spiritual pride” is normal pride with religious make-up. What should church members understand about Jesus Christ and the Gospel to combat and prevent “spiritual pride”?
- Is it always wrong for churches to judge another church? How would you define doctrinal indifference and why is it dangerous?
- In this week’s passage, James and John are outraged that the Samaritans would reject Jesus. As a Christian, have you ever felt this sense of outrage? Explain.
- In their anger, what did James and John ask Jesus’ permission to do? What does this request reveal about James’ and John’s faith? What does it reveal about their understanding of Jesus’ mission on earth?
- From the moment of His birth until the day of His death, the Son of God was rejected and despised by mankind. Yet throughout His life, Jesus’ face was set towards Jerusalem - He understood, accepted, and was determined to go to the cross. As a Christian, how does this encourage you in your faith?
More in Luke
May 28, 2023Stumbling Blocks, Forgiveness, and Faith
May 21, 2023The Results of Man-Made Religion
April 30, 2023Exposing Hollow Religion