Humbled and Exalted
Passage: Luke 14:1–14
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- In the Christian life, what do you think it means that “the way up is down” and how is this contrary to the world’s ways?
- How do you think it was possible that Jesus’ many miracles were not enough to convince the Pharisees to believe in Him? Do you think if God were to write in the sky, “I am Jesus Christ the Savior, believe in Me!”, that everyone in the world would suddenly become a Christian? Why or why not?
- How do Christians sometimes try to “sit down in a place of honor” within the church today? Why is humility so important in the Christian life?
- What does it look like in today's world for a person to “sit in the lowest place”? What side of the table do you seek to sit on, and why is this question so important for us to think about?
- Does the way you live show you care more about the present life or the life to come? How can a Christian shift his/her focus in life from the temporal to the eternal?