The Results of Man-Made Religion
Passage: Luke 16:19–31
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- Using the Pharisees as an example, how would you describe or define a “man-made religion”? Why is Christianity NOT a man-made religion?
- In this parable, is Jesus teaching that rich people go to hell and poor people go to heaven? Why do you think the rich man was in hell and poor Lazarus was at rest with Abraham? What is Jesus’ point in telling this parable?
- Is it harder for a rich person, and conversely, easier for a poor person, to enter the kingdom of God? If so, why? What does it take to enter the kingdom?
- To the best of your ability, describe hell. Although it is difficult to even imagine, why do you think it is important for Christians to understand hell and recognize its reality?
- Do you agree that even if a dead man were to rise from the dead and warn his own family of the reality of hell, that his family would still not believe? Why or why not? Why are “Moses and the Prophets” a better warning of the perils of hell, than even someone rising from the dead?