To Not Lose Heart
Passage: Luke 18:1–8
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- What does it mean to “lose heart”? Assuming we believe in the power of prayer, what might cause a Christian to stop praying? Have you ever experienced this in your life? Explain.
- In the parable of the persistent widow, the poor woman is helpless and the judge is heartless. There is no outward evidence that she will succeed in her petition. What keeps her going? What point is Jesus trying to make in this parable?
- What do you think it means to be one of God’s “elect” and how does this help believers when they feel like the struggling helpless widow?
- This parable is not about persisting in prayer for good health, wealth, and prosperity. Rather, it is about not losing heart in longing for the kingdom of God. How does this parable influence what you pray for and how you pray?
- How does your prayer life reflect your faith? In answer to Jesus’ final question, will He find true faith in you when He returns?