Love in Suffering
Passage: Luke 18:28–34
Click here for the sermon discussion questions or see them listed below. We highly encourage you to listen, think, and talk about the sermon. These are questions you can reflect on by yourself, with your family, or with your small group.
- Why do you think the disciples may have felt insecure even though they were in the very presence of the Son of God?
- What might cause a person to question whether following Christ is worth it? Have you ever felt despair in this way? Explain why or why not.
- Explain how the anticipation of pain, especially when you know all the gory details, is pain itself. In your own words, explain the depth of Jesus’ determined love for His people, that moved Him to walk resolutely towards Jerusalem and the cross.
- Why is it important for Christians to comprehend and truly know the breadth and length and height and depth of the love of Christ? Why is Jesus sufficient for everything? (As time permits, reference the following verses, Acts 4:12, Philippians 4:19, Ephesians 1:3, 2 Peter 1:3, 2 Corinthians 12:9, John 14:6)
- The Son of God’s ultimate purpose on earth was to die in our place to pay the penalty for sin. Why do you think it is so difficult for not only the disciples, but also people throughout history, to understand and believe such good news?